Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ArtFire vs Etsy. Etsy vs. ArtFire.

After my last post and after reading this article, I have had many conversations and even some debates, with fellow shop owners over which is "better", Etsy or Artfire.

Personally, I love both! Yes, this IS possible. Both of these lively online markets places have what I feel is most important: A supportive and friendly community.

Another thing it comes down really, is what YOU feel is most important. While Etsy has listing fees and a much larger community, ArtFire has no listing fees, but a smaller community. While ArtFire gives you the option to customize your shop to your website, Etsy has a feeling of unity within the shops. Etsy has been around longer and has many "kinks" worked out, while Artfire is relatively new and is still under development. I could go on and on...

Both of these marketplaces have something in common. One very vital aspect that I think is most times over looked, YOU are in charge. Both Artfire AND Etsy embrace your ability to create, grow and communicate with society through your creations. After all, isn't that what it's all about anyway?

I think I simply feel torn about The Etsy Wars article. I owe a huge chunk of my success to Etsy. My sales continue to grow there and I continue to meet such wonderful people, even though I now link my website to ArtFire. And even though my site links to ArtFire, my ArtFire links back to my Etsy. With the rise in shipping and supply costs, my Etsy fees are a bigger blow to pay, but I just don't make the sales I need, yet, on ArtFire. Does this mean when (and if) ArtFire becomes huge I will leave Etsy? Absolutely not.

We just need to remember, it's all about supporting EACH OTHER, and not losing ourselves in argueing about the marketplace. ♥ Without US there would be no Etsy OR ArtFire.

♥♥♥

1 comment:

SoBella Creations said...

Great things to consider.